Let’s talk about the FIRST LEGO League Jr. (ages 6-10 or grades K-4th) 2017 Aqua Adventure season. There have been some exciting changes in the FLL Jr. Robotics Platform that I can’t wait to share with you. If you have not heard of FIRST Robotics before, please check out the progression of robotics FIRST has to offer from K-12th grade,http://www.firstinspires.org/.
REGISTRATION TO BE AN OFFICIAL FIRST LEGO TEAM
Team Registration is OPEN! You can go to REGISTRATION LINK To officially register your team as a FIRST LEGO League Jr. team, part of an international robotics expo, for the 2017-2018 season it is $99.00. For $99.00 you will receive:
· Inspire Set. An Inspire Set is a LEGO model, which is a secret until the Challenge Release on August 1st at 12:00PM. The LEGO model will have some sort of challenge to it related to the theme, Aqua Adventure, which the team will build a 15”X15”X15” LEGO diorama (or smaller) around. The Inspire Set is now in its second season and it helped unify all FLL Jr. teams. We LOVED this idea last year.
· 710 LEGO set. The Inspire Set includes 710 count LEGO set. Teams will no longer have to buy extra LEGOs to create the diorama. The 710 count LEGO set should be enough LEGOs and it SHOULD reduce an additional stress for teams.
· Engineering Notebooks. FIRST has developed engineering notebooks for each student on your team. Since a FLL Jr. teams can consist of 2-6 team members you will receive 6 engineering notebooks with every registration. The engineering notebooks are designed to help lead every meeting. It gives the team members a place to record their information, as well as build on their project with various activities.
· Coach’s Team Meeting Guide. You will receive a coach team meeting guide that will give you extra tips on the challenge, resources, and snapshots of the engineering notebooks. Each meeting has guidance to help you with your team, with tips on how to adjust the meetings according to age (pre-readers up to advanced level).
The 2017-2018 season does require the use of a robot. We want our youngest generation coding too! We are highly recommending the WeDo 2.0 robot and software package. When you register as an official team, you can get a discount through your FIRST Registration for the WeDo 2.0 robot. The learning models/robots are easy to build and the software uses simple drag and drop blocks. With WeDo 2.0 kids can make simple programs that control their motors and helps their model come to life. AND I can train you on the WeDo 2.0, which will strengthen the “T” in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics for your team. The software package is available for FREE on laptops (Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 8, Mac OS), iPads, Android Tablets, and Google Chrome Tablets. Check out LEGO Education and your App stores for the Full Version Download. An excellent contact for LEGO Education if are interested in the WeDo 2.0 or have questions is Erin Sowa, erin.sowa@LEGO.com.
Is WeDo 2.0 the only robot my team can use?
No! In WV, we want our youngest generation coding. Other LEGO robots you can use is the original LEGO WeDo, LEGO NXT, LEGO EV3, or even (if you want to go old school) the LEGO RCX.
FLL Jr. Coach Trainings
The training is designed for coaches only and will prepare new coaches (veteran coaches can apply too) for the FIRST LEGO League (FLL) Jr. experience. FLL Jr. is for kids K-4th (ages 6-10) with 2-6 team members. The training will include an overview of FLL Jr., what to expect during the season, how to run a team, and training with the new LEGO WeDo 2.0 robotic platform. If you are starting a team, or are interested in starting a team, this is an excellent opportunity.
If you would like to attend the training, please fill out the form below and be sure to answer all questions.
Space is limited, the training will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
You will receive a response confirming your registration.
WEST VIRGINIA EXPOs and DATES!!!!
If you are officially registered as a FIRST LEGO League Jr team and your ready to register for a WV Expo, I have the dates and locations already set! Go to the WV EXPO REGISTRATION FORM or copy and paste the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/F8phGQI6vFY3zgnl2
WV Expos are FREE (absolutely no cost to our FLL Jr. teams) and accompany the FIRST LEGO League (ages 9-14) Qualifying Events and the FLL State Championship. So you team will get the see the next level!
- November 4, 2017: Challenger Learning Center, Wheeling; West Virginia Schools for the Deaf and Blind, Romney; James Rumsey Technical Institute, Martinsburg
- November 11, 2017: WVU-P, Parkersburg; BridgeValley ATC, S. Charleston; RCBI, Huntington; Shepherd University, Shepherdstown
- November 18, 2017: New River CTC, Lewisburg; MARS/WVU, Morgantown; RCBI, Bridgeport; Bluefield State College, Bluefield
- December 2, 2017: FSU, Fairmont
FOR MORE ABOUT THE UPDATES ON FLL JR AND LEGO EDUCATION
Please check out: https://youtu.be/GQtKN_tdRhs
Please stay tuned for grant opportunities as well. If you are interested in starting a FLL Jr. team and/or integrating WeDo 2.0 into your FLL Jr. team (or your classroom) and would like training, please contact me and we will collaborate to make sure it happens. You can also check out WVRoboticsAlliance.org, which has information on all of our robotics platforms.